A few years ago, I had the opportunity to meet the team at Midwest Special Services (MSS) to learn about the services they offer and their focus on adults in our community with intellectual and/or physical disabilities. I was so impressed with their entire organization and the amazing work they do, including… providing staffing for local companies!
Recently I thought about MSS again when our team at CERRON listed a new medical office property featuring a specialized build-out. I wondered about the type of space MSS and similar companies require, so I picked up the phone to re-connect with Kevin McCaleb, Director of MSS in Apple Valley, MN, who introduced me to Randy Bloom, Business Development Executive with MSS and MSS’ Communications Manager, Hannah Watkins. Together we discussed ways local business owners may benefit from staffing services that MSS offers in the interview recapped below.
Image Source: MSS, Eagan , MN Facility
What is the mission of Midwest Special Services (MSS)?
The mission of MSS is to serve adults with disabilities by supporting them in the achievement of their full potential and as vital and contributing members of the community.
Where is MSS located?
MSS has six centers, located at:
- St. Paul Center (Main Office) – 900 Ocean Street, St. Paul, MN 55106
- Apple Valley Center – 14779 Energy Way, Apple Valley, MN 55124
- Brooklyn Park Center – 7600 Boone Avenue N. Suite 86, Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
- Eagan Center – 3265 Northwood Circle Suite 180, Eagan, MN 55121
- Shoreview Center – 1045 Tomlyn Avenue, Shoreview, MN 55126
- Oakdale Center – 3400 Granada Ave. N. Suite 190, Oakdale, MN 55128
Who does MSS serve?
Since 1949, MSS has been providing individualized services and supports to adults with intellectual and physical disabilities to help them reach their personal goals and achieve their full potential. We are committed to identifying and navigating the barriers our participants face.
Our geographic reach covers the entire seven-county metro area with six facilities, each designed to support the individuals we support, their caregivers, and families.
What are some of your workers’ capabilities in terms of employment opportunities?
They want to work and they are good at it! We provide them with the opportunity to gain skills in the areas of production assembly, clerical, customer service, food services, cleaning and janitorial.
Employers can expect a hard worker who can provide results.
What is a common misconception about hiring people with intellectual and/or physical disabilities?
It is believed by many that adults with disabilities will increase the liability of a hiring organization, that they will have a hard time being accepted by co-workers and that they cannot learn the same tasks as their co-workers. These are all misconceptions, and employers we have worked with are pleasantly surprised by the positive results our workers provide.
How can businesses benefit by working with MSS and hiring the individuals you support?
- Businesses can tap into a dedicated work force who are reliable and willing to work
- MSS Business Services can help our business partners meet their goals regarding delivery of critical products or services. MSS can help to add capacity to our business partners’ current staffing needs or by providing outsourced production capacity while meeting our customers’ critical deadlines for product or services delivery.
- Businesses have the opportunity to directly benefit the community in which they exist by hiring MSS and the clients we serve.
Image Source: MSS – Client Craig, working on mobile crew.
How does the work program at MSS work? What options do businesses have to work with the individuals you support?
MSS Business Services division offers 3 solutions for businesses and their needs:
- Pre-qualified candidates for direct hire
- Supervised Work Crews for on-going or special projects
- In-house production assembly and packaging services / fulfillment
Typically, what is the timeframe from when a business contacts MSS to the time they have help in the door?
- MSS responds quickly to meet the critical deadline needs of our business partners. Typically, we will work with the individual scheduling deadline needs of our customers to provide solutions for staffing or outsourced production needs.
What other questions do business owners typically ask when considering working with MSS?
- Quality of output is extremely important for all our business customers! MSS works closely with our business customers to understand all quality requirements in order to be successful. MSS will meet with each business customer to fully understand our customers’ established productivity and/or inspection standards
Who should business owners contact if they would like more information on working with Midwest Special Services?
Contact: Randy Bloom, Business Development Executive, at email@example.com or (651) 793- 4199. We would also encourage you to visit our website at: mwsservices.org to learn more about our services.
We sincerely hope you enjoyed learning more about this great nonprofit organization in our local community. If you think your company could benefit by working with Midwest Special Services, we would encourage you to inquire about their staffing services. Putting folks like Craig to work is a benefit to the hiring company, the employee, and our local community!
If you are a company in need of a customized space or a new-location, please contact APPRO Development at (952) 469-2171 or CERRON Commercial Properties at (952) 469-9444.